Monday, February 14, 2011

Confession #8: What About Me?

Becoming a work-o-holic takes a lot of grooming. You first must be stroked into loving superior feedback. Then it must be taken away. Then given back after a small but good job done.

Then you get no attention for days - no one - no one looks at you. breathes your name. tells you you did a good job. No one pets your fragile ego. What About Me?

What happened to me? I am now addicted to knowing that my work is important. I don't need anyone to hold my hand during the job, but I desire the credit. So then, I'm staying after work an hour or so, working on something that could seriously have waited till tomorrow, but your superior really would like it if you could just put forth a little extra effort..... ESPECIALLY because you are required, as a manager, to work at least 30 hrs a week. and you just happen to be getting married in 4 weeks and took on a full time day job and an assistant seasonal manager position (basically another full time job).

So I stay. I work, and work, and get even more pissed when the "Good Job" reward hasn't come. no such thing as "Thanks for staying late! Your work is truly appreciated!" Not even a "Let's go grab a beer. Today was rough." I get into the car alone. I just bust my ass at a crappy desk job from 8-5, then 15 minutes later I'm working a seasonal retail store till 9 or 9:30pm. Forty-five minutes later I get home to my sleeping soon-to-be-husband. I was angry at him this morning. We didn't even get to say goodnight. I only kissed him once today....

I sit in the dark at my computer brooding over my day. Now alone again. No one to tell me that my job was a good one and my work has been appreciated. Two hours later I curl up in bed next to the handsome man in my life and fall asleep for 7 hrs of sleep then a re-do on my day. And when the pay check comes, I still struggle to pay my bills. We just get by while we pay for our masquerade ball wedding reception. It's the only thing I have to look forward to and I don't even have fun while I plan....

No comments:

Post a Comment